Friday, February 27, 2015

Why I Put Down My Phone

I've been trying to think of ways I can be more present these last few months at Texas A&M but if we're being honest (and I feel like we have an honest relationship), I already knew. 

I need to put down my phone.

Whether I'm walking to class, riding the bus to/from campus, or waiting to checkout at the 1/30 checkouts that's actually open in Walmart, the easy thing to do in this technological world is pull out my phone to occupy my time. "What's wrong with that? There's nothing else to do while I'm waiting! If you're not on your phone, you're just going to be sitting/standing there awkwardly in silence because everybody else around you will be on theirs." That may be true, but is it right for me to think like that? Is it right for me to believe my Facebook news feed or Pinterest page are more important than what's happening right here, right now, as I get from place to place? Common sense tells us to keep off our phones when we're spending time with others...but I've recently realized (AKA: been convicted of the fact) it's just as important to refrain from my phone as I make my way from Point A to Point B as it is to keep off of it when I arrive at my destination, whether that be the bus stop, the checkout counter, or the MSC (Memorial Student Center)! 

I need to put down my phone. 

With that being said, for the past week or so I've been trying to get into the habit of walking with my phone in my backpack instead of my hand/pocket so I'm not tempted to pull it out because I am guilty of getting on my phone to occupy my time as I wait! I'll be honest...it was difficult at first because I would often revert to my phone without even realizing it! However, the more intentional I am, the easier it gets! I now notice the group of squirrels gathering acorns in Academic Plaza and the smiling baby bouncing joyfully in the buggy behind me in line at Walmart hoping I'll look at her so she can show me what she recently learned - the floppy wave. That may be a little dramatic because I'm not on my phone that much, but you catch my drift...it's still too much! TOO MUCH, I SAY! I don't want to look back on my time at Texas A&M and find myself wishing I had used it differently. I don't want to miss an opportunity to smile at someone who is feeling hopeless, hug a classmate I haven't seen since sophomore year, strike up a conversation with God (because we can NEVER talk to Him too much), or pray for passersby. It has been a blessing putting down my phone as I walk/wait, as God has reminded me how precious our time is and why/how I should use it more wisely. 

In Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren quotes: “Time is your most precious gift because you only have a set amount of it. You can make more money, but you can't make more time. When you give someone your time, you are giving them a portion of your life that you'll never get back. Your time is your life. That is why the greatest gift you can give someone is your time. It is not enough to just say relationships are important; we must prove it by investing time in them. Words alone are worthless. 'My children, our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action.' Relationships take time and effort, and the best way to spell love is 'T-I-M-E.'" 

As Rick Warren mentions above, we only have a set amount of time. We can't create more time, and we can't get it back. I chose to use this quote because it really captures the essence of time and how important it is for us to take advantage of it. When we're on our phones, we're not taking advantage of our time. We're misusing it. Your Instagram post can wait. Your Facebook news feed will still be there when you get off the bus. That quote on Pinterest (and boy do I love quotes) can be pinned later. The people around you, however, can't wait. They won't be there when you leave campus, walk out of Walmart, or step off the bus. Don't worry, I'm not saying you have to strike up a conversation with them. I'm simply encouraging you to notice them. Talk to God as you walk across campus. Pray for the person sitting across from you on the bus who keeps yawning from lack of sleep or appears to be stressed about the study material they're tightly gripping in their hands. Smile at the women checking out in front of you who looks as if she's shopping for the cast of Annie. Be intentional. Post that Instagram picture when you get home. Pin that DIY project when you get bored in class. Oops, did I say that out loud? Also, I know we're talking about staying off our phones, but it wouldn't be bad to call up a friend you haven't spoken to in a while and let them know you love them and are thinking about them! Basically, I'm encouraging everybody (myself included) to invest in the things that matter; we need to love others by giving them our time! 

So, I put down my phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much! Your comments, thoughts, and concerns are always welcome here and are greatly appreciated!