Saturday, June 13, 2015

Cutting the Complaining

I love setting goals for myself whether they are career goals, relationship goals, short-term goals or long-term goals. As the school year came to an end, my friends and I began discussing the goals we wanted to set for ourselves this summer: read x amount of books, work out every day, be in God's word first thing every morning, spend more time with loved ones, etc. 

I was trying to think of another goal to set for myself that would really challenge me spiritually. It was then God placed Philippians 2:14-15 on my heart which reads: "Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation." 

I NEED TO STOP COMPLAINING! 

Have you ever taken a step back to analyze just how much you complain throughout the day? I did last week and let me tell you, it was NOT pretty. I had NO IDEA just how much I "grumble" throughout my day-to-day schedule! I complain before/during/after my run (I really don't like running), I complain about the heat, people who don't use their blinkers when driving, being sore, being sleepy. The list goes on. I complain about the littlest things and it never occurred to me that my grumbling was not bringing glory to God...until now! 

In his book, It's Not About Me, Max Lucado states, "We are His mirrors, you know. Tools of heaven's heliography. Reduce the human job description down to one phrase, and this is it: Reflect God's glory." In other words, we should "behold God so intently that we can't help but reflect him." 1 Corinthians 10:31 states, "Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." It doesn't tell us to pick and choose what we do for the glory of God. It tells us that we should be seeking to glorify God in whatever we do. 

As Christians, there are several ways in which we can stand out from the world and, believe it or not, by not grumbling or complaining about our circumstances (whatever they may be) we can be a witness for Christ in a lost world. My friend introduced me to a Pinterest quote that says, "Your life as a Christian should make nonbelievers question their disbelief in God." WOW - WHAT A BOLD STATEMENT! We should be living in such a way that when others look at us, curiosity strikes. Heads turn. Nonbelievers should find themselves questioning, "What do they have that I don't have?" 

Lucado goes on to talk about his dad who was confined to a hospital bed, dying from ALS. "He lost his voice and his muscles, but he never lost his faith. Visitors noticed. Not so much in what he said but more in what he didn't say. Never outwardly angry or bitter. Jack Lucado suffered stately." Instead of complaining about his circumstances, Lucado's dad understood that "he was sick for the sake of God." He understood that "a season of suffering is a small assignment when compared to the reward" and he used "[his] hospital room as a showcase for [his] Maker." What if we did the same thing on a smaller level in hopes of making a big difference for God's Kingdom so that when others see us, they see Him. What if, instead of grumbling about that driver we almost hit because they didn't use their blinker, we thanked God for their life? What if, instead of complaining about running in the heat, we found ourselves thanking God for blessing us with the ability to run. Imagine the impact we could make if we praised God and glorified Him at ALL times, no matter what it is we're doing!

A few weeks ago during the record-breaking East Texas rainfall, I was riding in the car with my mom. Naturally, I began complaining about all the rain we were getting! It was in that moment, my precious mama cheerfully said, "but the rain will bring pretty flowers and green, green grass!" I smiled and stared out the window. My mom had never looked so beautiful. 

Lucado's dad influenced the lives of those around him because of the things he didn't say. In the same way, we can influence those around us by "never [being] outwardly angry or bitter." We should focus on Christ, not our circumstances, and strive to reflect His glory at all times...even when it's raining. Even when we're sore. Even when we're irritated. 

Remember, "[we] may be the only Bible some people will ever read" and, as children of God, it's our responsibility to ensure we are reflecting His glory at all times. In other words, "because we are children, we bear the Father's name, and we need to be sure that we are consistent in living a life that will speak well of the name we bear." Let's challenge ourselves to cut the complaining and start loving (yes, even that person who cut you off in traffic this morning and made you miss the green light). It won't be easy. In fact, it may be one of the hardest things we'll ever do, but if one person's life is changed because we chose to not grumble about our situation, it will all be worth it. 

In closing, I'd like to leave you with one of my favorite songs - Live Like That by Sidewalk Prophets. Listen to the words. Let them sink in. Ask yourselves, "When they see me do they see You?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much! Your comments, thoughts, and concerns are always welcome here and are greatly appreciated!