Sunday, September 14, 2014

Performing for an Audience of ONE

At my apartment complex, there's a shuttle bus that picks us up and drops us off at the bus stop. Living in the furthest building away from the bus stop, I have always been grateful for this unique system. However, some days I am even more grateful than others...like today:

Sweat was already forming on my forehead as I waited patiently for the shuttle bus to arrive. When I noticed it rounding the corner, I shot up and began strolling towards it, planning to meet it in the middle as I do every day. However, today was different. As I was approaching the bus doors, inches away from stepping on, Mr. Charlie suddenly yells "PSYCH" at the top of his lungs! He immediately closes the door, laughs his head off, opens it and then, still laughing, lowers his head and says, "I should be ashamed." IT MADE MY DAY!


As we made our way to the bus stop, I couldn't help but think about all the ways Mr. Charlie shines the light of Christ on that shuttle bus. I thought about how there is always Christian music playing on the radio, how he has no problem bringing God and his goodness into the conversation, and how he never fails to encourage us to have a "blessed day" when we get off the shuttle. The love he has for his job is the best representation of Colossians 3:23 which says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as if working for the Lord, not for man." It is evident who Mr. Charlie is working for, and it's NOT Campus Village! He is living, working and performing for an audience of ONE!

As Christians, the only praise and applause we should seek is that of God alone! It doesn't matter if you are a teacher, bus driver, talk show host, pediatrician, or zookeeper! God needs Christians everywhere, and we are called to "do what [we] can, with what [we] have, where [we] are!" That is exactly what Mr. Charlie does! He is an inspiration, and I am so grateful God allowed our paths to cross.

I encourage you to take Jon Gordan's advice (the author of The Energy Bus - I've written about it before in my post "Rejoicing on the Ride") and "drive with purpose!" Trust that God has you exactly where he wants you, and know that it's your responsibility to make the most of the opportunities he has given you! Shine your light "every day, every day" in any and every way possible!


"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of
God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still
trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."
Galatians 1:10

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kristin I loved this! Yep, we are often too busy to notice the "Mr. Charlie's" in the busy hustle of daily life. I plan to make an effort to notice those around me who shine the light of Christ in my day. Thanks ~ such a "feel good" read! ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much! Your comments, thoughts, and concerns are always welcome here and are greatly appreciated!