Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Last One: Part 2

As mentioned in The Last One: Part 1, the title of this blog was named after the series finale of Friends because just as the six friends shared heartbreaking goodbyes and had one last cup of coffee at Central Perk before heading in different directions, I have officially participated in "the last one" of every Aggie (and Phi Lamb) tradition I know and love! I have tied up loose ends at Texas A&M University with "no ragrets" and have completed my bucket list! This post represents the "season finale" of my college career. Because it is impossible for me to wrap-up everything I want to say in one last blog post, there will, of course, be more to come.

Intramural Basketball:
Since I recently wrote an entire blog dedicated to Phi Lamb's intramural basketball team ("12th Lamb" Baaaasketball), I won't be as detailed in this paragraph as the others. As you know, I love basketball. For the past three years, I have played on as many basketball teams as possible each spring, one co-ed team and one all-girls team! Honestly, if I could have played on a third (or fourth) team, I would have. Throughout the past three years, I have been blessed with the opportunity to play with a few of my best friends, as well as a handful of other awesome individuals who love the game as much as I do! Sadly, we didn't think about taking pictures until this year so I don't have any from the previous years! Regardless, not much has changed since high school, as I continued to long for basketball season to begin and hated to see it end. I will miss playing with these guys and girls but I'm looking forward to joining a REC team in Los Angeles! 

The Mighty Dunks

This was our "12th Lamb" Baaaasketball team. Again, if you'd like to read about how these girls impacted my life this season, you can do so in my previous blog post!


These photos were taken by one of my best friend's mom! White Oak's tennis team made it to Regionals which just so happened to be in College Station! I cannot even begin to explain the excitement I felt when I saw her standing on the sidelines as I ran back down the court. I hugged her neck after the game and immediately began crying. It's not every day your best friend's mom comes to watch you play in the intramural championship basketball game! IT WAS THE BEST SURPRISE! I am so blessed!




This might be the highest I've ever jumped...hahahaha! 


D2: The Mighty Dunks
Zac, Braden, Jake, Kristen, Ashton, me, Audrey, Jackie, and (not pictured) Liam




We had the best support system this season, as our "Team Moms" attended every single basketball game, led us in stretches before and provided snacks for us afterwards! They brought so much joy and laughter to our games!

Date Party/Formal:
I attended my last Phi Lamb Date Party/Formal last weekend! As you can see from the pictures I've posted below, I have always gone above and beyond when asking my dates simply because I LOVE making the most of every opportunity! I never want to look back with regret, wishing I had done more. God has truly blessed me with a handful of great, godly guys who never seemed to be embarrassed by me and my odd requests, graciously put up with my terrible two-stepping, and patiently spent an entire weekend without complaining a single time even though he was the only boy surrounded by nine (9) girls. 

As you can see from the title of this blog, I am OBSESSED with Friends (and my best friend, David, of course) and we decided to go as the cast of Friends to our "Bring Your BOO" Halloween Date Party! I went as Phoebe Buffay, so in order to officially ask my date and fulfill my role, I wrote a remix to the infamous "Smelly Cat" song that Phoebe is known and loved for! I then set up camp in the middle of Rev's Cafe in the MSC and serenaded him while wearing a cat sweater! You can try watching the video here!


 "I'll be there for you, when the rain starts to pour! I'll be there for you, like I've been there before. I'll be there for you, 'cause you're there for me, too!"


This was how I asked my friend to Party on the Ark! 



We were supposed to be "jumping for joy" in this picture but James didn't quite get the memo and "hopped in horror" instead.

The officers went to "Secondhand Sadies" together and this is how I asked them! It's not every day you get to walk across campus dressed as a fairy godmother.


You guys could've just told me you didn't want my face in the picture...


Formal 2013

Well WADDLE ya know! I was "HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY" to go with Tom-Tom to Phi Lamb's Duck Dynasty-themed Formal! 


Formal 2014


Formal was in Austin this year, so this was how I asked my friend, Braden!




I think it's safe to say we did, in fact, keep Austin weird!


Sigma Phi Lambda Officers 2014-2015

Parent's Weekend:
Parent's Weekend is my favorite part of the spring semester simply because I get to share what I love most with who I love most! Nothing excites me more than getting to show my friends and family what Aggieland is all about! These two have been my pillars of support through everything and it is because of their sacrifices (and God's grace, of course) that I had the opportunity to attend this university. Whether it was cheering for the White Oak Ladynecks or the Fightin' Texas Aggies, they have always been my number one fans and rooted for the team/school I love! God has truly blessed me, for these two have given me the world and I'm so, so very grateful for all they have done in my life! I would not be where I am without them. 

This was at Parents Weekend 2013, just before the Maroon/White game!




I got my Fightin' Texas Aggie Ring at Parents Weekend 2014!


I asked my oldest brother, Clayton ('09), to present my Aggie Ring because he was my inspiration behind attending Texas A&M University! I went to a football game with him in the 8th grade and immediately knew I wanted to be an Aggie, I was meant to be an Aggie! It is an honor following in his footsteps, and it is such a blessing sharing the same passion with him!




Parents Weekend 2015 was such a precious time and a memory I will cherish forever because we honored our parents at our Parent's Weekend Brunch! In doing so, I had the opportunity to show Ma & Pa what I've been up to all year while serving as President of Sigma Phi Lambda and they got to see what these "Sisters for the Lord" are all about! I can't think of a better way to spend my last Parent's Weekend than thanking them for all they've done to support me, love me, and shape me into the person I am today! 

Ring Dunk:
In the late 70's, an Aggie headed to the Dixie Chicken to celebrate receiving his Fightin' Texas Aggie Ring! While there, he accidentally dropped his ring in a full pitcher of beer and, naturally, the only way to get it out was to drink the entire pitcher. This sparked the unofficial tradition known as "Ring Dunk" that Aggies continue to participate in today. Students come together and brainstorm theme ideas which range anywhere from Dunk'n Donuts to "How you dunkin'?" which was inspired by Joey Tribbiani's catchphrase on Friends. They then make Facebook pages and invite everyone they know! In addition to the unique themes, some students get creative with their dunks and choose to put their rings at the bottom of chocolate cake or Kool-Aid instead of alcohol. 

I love Chick-fil-A milkshakes and I love my Aggie Ring, but I realize I like them separately, not together! Regardless, "Once Upon A Dunk" was a success and I can finally check "Ring Dunk" off my Texas A&M Bucket List! 

Reveille:
Reveille is Texas A&M's mascot, the First Lady of Aggieland and the highest ranking member of the Corps of Cadets. She's royalty! In fact, when the SMU wide receiver came stumbling uncontrollably towards the beloved mascot, Reveille's handler put his body between the two and blocked the defender to ensure Reveille's safety! Tears fill my eyes as she leads the football team onto the field every Saturday. When a former Reveille passes away, they bury her at the "North End of Kyle Field" so she can join the others and see the scoreboard and watch the Aggies outscore their opponents. Reveille attends classes with her handler and if she barks during class, the class is immediately dismissed because "if a professor can't hold the attention of a dog, there's no way they can hold the attention of their students!" Spotting Reveille on campus is a HUGE deal and getting to take a picture with the First Lady of Aggieland is every Aggie's dream! 

This photo was taken in the fall of my sophomore year! It doesn't get much better than trudging into your 8:00AM only to discover Reveille is visiting the classroom next door to you for the day! Suddenly waking up before the rooster crows didn't seem so bad. I also had the honor of being in math class with Reveille the following semester!


This photo was taken my junior year. Rylea and I were making our usual stroll towards the MSC when we spotted Reveille by Rudder Fountain!


"She's beauty and she's grace, she's Reveille the 8th!" This photo was taken before our last Phi Lamb meeting my senior year just a few weeks ago! This was my last picture with Reveille VIII, for she retired last week.

Yell Leaders: 
At Texas A&M, we don't have cheerleaders. We have Yell Leaders! Yell Leaders are the "Keepers of the Spirit" and they consist of five students who are elected by the student body each year. They lead fans in yells before, during, and after athletic/school events. They don't do cartwheels or front flips. Instead, they use "pass backs" to lead yells. Each yell (Farmers Fight, Aggies, Gig 'Em, Old Army, BTHO, etc.) has a specific hand signal that is used to inform the crowd which yell will be performed next. 

HUBBA, HUBBA! I checked off another Texas A&M "must-do" at a men's basketball game and snapped a picture with my two favorite Yell Leaders, Shaq (left) and Patrick (right)! It's been such a joy watching these guys lead our student body with character and integrity. What a blessing they are!

Banquet:
I suppose "banquet" is pretty self-explanatory! We recognize the new committee head members, the new officers, and the graduating seniors while reflecting on all that the Lord has done since the previous banquet. Three years ago, I quietly sat and listened to the seniors share their "pearls of wisdom" at banquet. Last week, I was one of those seniors sharing advice with my sisters. Where has the time gone? 

Banquet 2013


I was so blessed to have this sweet, precious girl as President my first year in Phi Lamb! When I was going through the process of elections last year, Melissa talked through the position with me and prayed for me every step of the way, and she continued to do so throughout the year. I could not have done this without her guidance!

Prayer Group


Banquet 2014
These were the old (2013-2014) and new (2014-2015) officers! I cannot believe this was taken a year ago! I'll talk more about Sigma Phi Lambda in my next blog post!


Seniors 2015




Being "stuck in the middle with you [two]" is my favorite place to be.


Sigma Phi Lambda Officers 2014-2015


Congratulations to the new 2015-2016 Officers of Sigma Phi Lambda! The Lord divinely placed each of these girls in their roles and I am so excited to see how the Lord will use them next year. I'm so blessed to have gotten to know each of these girls so well the last year or two. The joy they have for the Lord is contagious and I know they will do a tremendous job leading our Chapter!

I have taken my personalized yellow peephole frame off the door and removed my "Central Perk" sign from the refrigerator. In less than a week, I will be leaving my keys on the kitchen counter. This may be known as the "saddest moment in television" but it will not be known as the saddest moment of my life, for the best is yet to come! 

The last line of the final scene is said by Chandler who sarcastically replies, "Sure...where?" when Rachel asks if they should go get some coffee. The answer was obvious - Central Perk. I find myself asking the same question as I step into the unknown: "Where do I want to go?" The answer to Rachel's question was evident and I know the answer to my question is just as clear. I can go anywhere I want. I can be anything I want. The world is full of endless possibilities, and I can "Go confidently in the direction of [my] dreams [and] live the life [I've] imagined." So if you're wondering, that's where I'll be going. I'll be chasing after the dreams that have kept me awake at night for so many years. I'll be seeking God's purpose for my life and discovering why He made me, Kristin Koonce. I'll be looking for ways to be a witness wherever He places me, and I will be striving to glorify Him every step of the way. 


You may recognize the sign! I made it two years ago when I asked David to our Halloween Date Party. I repainted it to look like the original sign so I could hang it on our refrigerator!

"The saddest moment on television."

Just as the Friends grabbed hands and took one last bow in The Last One: Part 2, I will be taking my final bow and waving goodbye to Texas A&M on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much! Your comments, thoughts, and concerns are always welcome here and are greatly appreciated!