Monday, July 7, 2014

Practice Makes Permanent

Aside from the horrifying "slicked-to-my-scalp" ponytail (I went through a few squirt bottles in my day...I still can't believe my friends let me go out into public looking like that) and a cheesy grin, there is one thing in particular that I remember about basketball camp the summer before 5th grade - our shirts. We received light gray t-shirts that had "Ladyneck Hoops" written in maroon across the front and if I'm not mistaken, a pair of basketball shoes dangled from one of the letters. However, it's the words printed down the back of the shirt that have stuck with me for nearly 12yrs: "Practice makes permanent. Be careful what you practice." Obviously this applied to basketball, but it wasn't until a few days ago that I realized it applies to life as well, which is yet another reason I am grateful for basketball, and my coach. I vaguely remember how the quote was explained to us. I'm sure it was somewhere along the lines of: "If you practice shooting incorrectly, you will always shoot incorrectly. But if you practice shooting with the correct form when you're young, you'll always shoot with the correct form. Nobody is perfect, but you form habits by the things you do and those habits can be good or bad. That's why it's important to be careful what you practice...because what you do now will effect your performance and determine what you do in the long run."

May I remind you, I have known this quote for 12yrs and it wasn't until two days ago that I realized the depth behind it. Funny how that works, huh? Just as I began practicing the correct way to shoot a basketball the minute I was taught how, as Christians, we should begin practicing the correct way to LIVE AND LOVE LIKE CHRIST as soon as we are taught how! 

As Rick Warren says in Purpose Driven Life, "Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test. You are always being tested. God constantly watches your response to people, problems, success, conflict, illness, disappointment, and even the weather! He even watches the simplest actions such as when you open a door for others, when you pick up a piece of trash, or when you're polite toward a clerk or waitress." 

I would never be a successful shooter if I was shooting the wrong way! In the same way, I will not become more like Christ if I am not practicing responses and actions that reflect the love of Christ! Every action, every word, every thought is shaping the person I am becoming...the question is, are the things I'm practicing going to aid me into becoming the person I WANT to be? Is the form I'm shooting with now (my actions, responses, etc.) going to help me reach my end goal as a successful shooter (to become like Christ)? 

CHALLENGE: 
I would like to encourage everyone (myself included) to start practicing the correct "shooting form" right now! For example, to name a few: 
Practice being patient.
Practice showing kindness to those around you.
Practice forgiveness - forgiving yourself and forgiving others. 
Practice controlling your anger.
Practice honor, love, respect.
Practice showing loyalty to those God has graciously placed in your life.
Practice showing gratitude, for there is ALWAYS something to be grateful for!
Practice reading God's word every morning!
Lastly, practice becoming more like Christ!

Remember, "practice makes permanent" so you must "be careful what you practice!" Develop habits that will help you to become a "successful shooter" as you seek to become more like Christ with every "shot" you take!

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much! Your comments, thoughts, and concerns are always welcome here and are greatly appreciated!