Sunday, July 20, 2014

Love Does

If you've visited my blog before, you may recall a recent post called "Perfectly Placed" in which I explain how the book Love Does by Bob Goff was "perfectly placed" into my hands. I may or may not have read ahead *cue laughter as I try to lie and say I didn't* and finished the book before I was "supposed" to! Oops! But we can just keep that between the two of us...kapish? *knucks*

Here's a little bit of what I learned:

1. Love Does

Basically, our life "has all the potential [we] bring to it - nothing more, nothing less." We don't need an extravagant plan or a strict day-to-day schedule before making our next move. According to Bob Goff, "[we] just need to be present." We have to "[get] to the 'do' part of faith" because "love is never stationary. In the end, love doesn't just keep thinking about it or keep planning for it. Simply put: love does."

Action: I need to throw away the timetable and quit trying to figure out the arrival and departure times as I seek to follow my dreams and become a talk show host. Instead, I simply need to show up, side-ponytail and all, and "be present."

2. Ryan in Love

In this chapter, Bob encourages us to live a life of love that's contagious "because that's the way love rolls; it multiplies." We should "live in such a way that those who don't know God but know us, may come to know God because they know us."

Action: I need to demonstrate love so zealously, those around me are encouraged to hop on board and sail through life the same way!

3. The Reach

It's okay to fail. In fact, "it's not just okay; it's better than okay." We will experience defeat more often than not but luckily, "God didn't make it a three-strikes-and-you're-out sort of thing. It's more about how God helps us dust ourselves off so that we can swing for the fences again." Don't let a few hard blows knock you out. Refuse to throw in the towel. You may be down for the count, but you're not down and out. Put your fists up and fight on!

Action: I need to expect failure and accept it with my arms open wide!

4. "Go buy your books!"

According to Bob, "when we want to do something that we know is right and good, God places that desire deep in our hearts because He wants it for us and it honors Him. Maybe there are times when we think a door has been closed and, instead of misinterpreting the circumstances, God wants us to kick it down. Or perhaps just sit outside of it long enough until somebody tells us we can come in."

Action: I won't let a few closed doors stop me from pursuing my dreams.

5. Wedding Cake

God uses us "not just when we're broken, but especially because we're broken."

6. Just Say Yes

Like Moses, "each of us gets to decide every time whether to lean in or step back - to say yes, ignore it, or tell God why He has the wrong person." God uses people every single day to make a difference for His kingdom. We don't have to be 6ft tall or, like Cinderella, have a shoe that fits. We just have to "say yes."

Action: I need to be willing to be used, even if I feel ill-equipped because "God doesn't call the qualified. He qualifies the call."

7. "Wow, what a hit!"

Bob declares he "[knows something] that works every time - it's having somebody else say something good about you." When we see potential in those around us, it is our responsibility to reach out to them because otherwise, they may have no idea. Personally, words of encouragement from the people I love and respect most fire me up and make me feel as if I can go anywhere or do anything. Bob tells us we can be that person for other people!

Action: I need to use encouraging words to fire others up!

8. A New Kind of Diet

We have to stand firm in our faith and stop walking with one foot in God's word and one in the world. "God doesn't like it when people fake it" and it's time for us to "give them a taste of the real thing."

Action: I need to "show them real love from a real God."

Believe it or not, that's only half of it! But due to an episode of Gilmore Girls that needs to be watched and an ASL assignment that needs to be completed, I'll have to save the rest for later! In the meantime, let's be available, love zealously, accept defeat, bust through some doors, let God use us our brokenness to help others, agree to a task, encourage those around us, and stop faking our faith!
 
"If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all." Isaiah 7:9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much! Your comments, thoughts, and concerns are always welcome here and are greatly appreciated!