Thursday, July 3, 2014

Purpose Driven Life

There are four words I find myself repeating more often than others, and those four words rotate around God's clock because "God's timing is perfect." The most recent experience I had with this involved Rick Warren's book, Purpose Driven Life. Long story (not so) short, I first began reading this book my senior year of high school because, well, it only made sense. Though I would be living at home and attending a community college my freshman year, I was entering a new chapter of my life that I knew nothing about. Heck, I've got 3yrs under my belt and I still know nothing about it but I suppose that's beside the point! Anyway, I was never able to get into it because unlike a shovel, I wasn't diggin' it, and I put it back on the shelf to gather dust for another year. Well, I finished my freshman year of college and was accepted to Texas A&M University (WHOOP) so I decided I would try reading it the summer before I transferred. I got a little further the second time but found myself closing it once again! This time, however, instead of placing it back on my closet shelf, I tossed it in a box and took it with me to Aggieland, trusting that God would bring Purpose Driven Life to my attention when the time was right...and He did! I picked it up this past semester (third time's a charm) and found myself blubbering with each completed chapter because, as mentioned earlier, God's timing is perfect!

If you've read this book, I hope and pray that it influenced and changed your life as much as it did mine! If you haven't read this book, I hope and pray you get this book into your hands ASAP and begin a journey that will change your outlook on the circumstances you face and help you to discover God's purpose for your life! Don't get discouraged if you're not able to continue reading it at first! Remember, God's timing is perfect, and it may take a few tries before the time is finally right! It sure did for me!

SUMMARY:


1) It's not about us.
2) We are not an accident.
3) Living on purpose is the path to peace.
4) There is more to life than just here and now.
5) Life is a test and a trust.
6) This world is not our home.
7) It's all for Him.
8) We were planned for God's pleasure.
9) God smiles when we trust Him.
10) The heart of worship is surrender.
11) God wants to be our best friend.
12) We are as close to God as we choose to be.
13) God wants all of us.
14) God is real, no matter how we feel.
15) We were formed for God's family.
16) Life is all about love.
17) We are called to belong, not just believe.
18) We need others in our life.
19) Community requires commitment.
20) Relationships are always worth restoring.
21) It is our responsibility to protect the unity of our church.
22) We were created to become like Christ.
23) It's never too late to start growing.
24) The truth transforms us.
25) There is a purpose behind every problem.
26) Every temptation is the opportunity to do good.
27) There is always a way out.
28) There are no shortcuts to maturity.
29) Service is not optional.
30) We were shaped for serving God.
31) Nobody else can be us.
32) God deserves our best.
33) We serve God by serving others.
34) To be a servant, we must think like a servant.
35) God works best when we admit our weaknesses.
36) We were made for a mission.
37) God wants to say something to the world through us.
38) The Great Commission is OUR Commission.
39) Blessed are the balanced.
40) Living with purpose is the only way to really live.

I'll go into detail later on, but I wanted to go ahead and share the 40pts Purpose Driven Life covers in case you are like me and, as Rascal Flatts sings in My Wish, are simply "out there gettin' where you're gettin' to" without the slightest clue as to where exactly it is that you're going. I hope these 40pts sparked your interest if you haven't read it yet! I promise, it's worth the read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much! Your comments, thoughts, and concerns are always welcome here and are greatly appreciated!