Thursday, July 10, 2014

My Favorite Word

Backstory:
This past semester in one of my Communication classes, we were told to walk up to the front and write our favorite word on the chalkboard. I scrunched my eyebrows and stared into the distance as my mind aimlessly searched for a word that was worthy of my favor. Finally, it hit me: SUNSHINE! That was (and is), hands down, my favorite word...as you can probably tell by the title of my blog! So, with a deep breath of confidence, I turned my back to the class and scribbled the 8-letter word in white chalk for all to see.

Now that you're caught up:
Rachel and I were running ahead of schedule, so we decided to kill some time and browse through Mardel, our local Christian bookstore. As we strolled through the doors, a worker politely offered us a flyer that contained that day's sales and discounts. My eyes scanned the page until my attention landed in the top right corner where the words "BOOKS for $1.00" danced into my heart. We darted to the bookshelves and it was there on the bottom shelf that God revealed to me a book after my own heart (it's a passion of mine), Be the Sunshine by Angela Thomas. It's a small, square book doused in a soft, golden yellow that encourages us to "share the light and spread the joy" everywhere we go! 
For obvious reasons, I had to share Angela's inspirational words with you! I'll try to elaborate a little under each of her points:

1) Be the Sunshine
"We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining - they just shine."

God calls us to be a light in the darkness. People should be able to take one look at us and know we are His because the sunshine we bring is too bright to overlook! Basically, God wants us to take the joy we have in Jesus and spread it into every nook and cranny!

2) I Am Not the Light That Shines

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us. Just as the roof of a sunhouse does not attract the sun because it is bright, but becomes bright because the sun shines on it."

We weren't born with a radiant, effervescent light inside of us. When we ask Jesus into our heart so that He may reign as the King of our life, we receive Christ's light! It is through Christ and Christ alone that we are able to "shine for God's glory!" Simply put, "Jesus was then - and still is - the only light."

3) Learning to Shine
"You and I are not manufacturers of light. We are only mirrors, little, tiny reflectors that send the light of Jesus out into darkness. Each one of us is learning what it really means to shine. Each light becomes ever brighter as we learn to love God more."

I think the quote says it all! Christ's light in us continues to get brighter as we become more like Him!

4) Hide It Under a Bushel?
"The people we live with and encounter every single day are supposed to see the light of Christ in us."

*cue This Little Light of Mine chorus*

(Side Note: We used to sing This Little Light of Mine in Youth Choir and it quickly became one of my favorite songs; I may or may not have sang it quietly to myself in the middle of the waiting room when I found it quoted it in Angela's book)

There should be no question as to whether or not we are disciples of Jesus Christ! Others should look at us and immediately take notice that there's something different about the way we live and show love! That being said, God doesn't want us flipping the light switch off and on when it's convenient or easy. We are called to "let [our] light shine before others, so that they may see [our] good works and give glory to [our] God in heaven" (Matthew 5:16). Don't "hide it under a bushel" and "don't let Satan *blows air* it out!" In the words of The Trammps, let it "burn, baby, burn!"


I'll stop there because I want you to read the book for yourself! If you're in the Longview area, grab a handful of change and swing by Mardel. It will be worth every penny...100 to be exact!

Conclusion:
You know on Miss Congeniality when Victor pushes Gracie Lou Freebush onto stage last minute and says "WEAR the crown, BE the crown, You ARE the crown" as he places his hands upright above his ears to represent...well, a crown? Say the following sentence like Victor says it: SEEK the sunshine, BE the sunshine, Christ IS the sunshine!

FLIP THE SWITCH AND "LET [YOUR] LITTLE LIGHT SHINE" BEFORE MEN!

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much! Your comments, thoughts, and concerns are always welcome here and are greatly appreciated!