Sunday, December 28, 2014

It's a Mentality

As I get closer to graduating college, God has slowly begun unveiling all the ways in which He has already prepared me for the real world thus far. I've always been aware of the heavy influence basketball has had on my life, for much of who I am today I owe to my coach and the Ladyneck Basketball program. However, it wasn't until this year that I began to recognize just how much God used basketball to prepare me for this next chapter of my life! 

I remember cringing as "GET YOUR HANDS OFF YOUR KNEES" echoed throughout E.B. Carrington Gymnasium my freshman year of basketball and Coach began listing what would be expected of us if we desired to play White Oak Ladyneck Basketball. As my teammates and I stood with our hands placed atop heads, ensuring we kept them as far away from our knees as possible, we soon discovered the reasoning behind this high demand...a demand that I realize now, 8yrs later, positively impacted the way I would live my life and one I will forever be grateful for! It went something like this, give or take a few words, of course: "Never put your hands on your knees because putting your hands on your knees is a sign of weakness. If you do it in practice, you'll do it in a game. I don't care if you're about to run out of energy, don't let your opponent know you're tired because they'll see that and take advantage of it. It's a mentality! Basketball is a mentality. Your physical game is limited by the thoughts inside your head. Don't sell yourself short. If you believe you can do something, you're right. You can do it. However, it works both ways. If you think you can't do something, you won't be able to do it. You've lost the game before the clock even started. When you feel yourself getting tired, dig in. Play harder. Fight. Keep your hands off your knees. Don't give up. "

Like I said, God has been revealing a lot to me lately as I've prepared myself for the new adventure that awaits me. For example, I now understand the importance of keeping my hands off my knees. I realize now that this didn't simply apply to running up and down a basketball court eight years ago, but instead applies to me now as I'll soon be running through life. As you know, life is full of challenges. We finally make it up one mountain only to look across and find that a second mountain awaits us. However, like basketball, we need to dig in, play harder, fight, and keep our hands off our knees when the going gets tough. If we don't, our opponents (co-workers, giants, etc.) will see it as a weakness and take advantage of our state of mind. They'll sneak in, "steal the ball" from us and take the winning shot without a moment's hesitation which is why it's so important we "get our head in the game" and believe from the get-go that we're capable of doing and being anything we desire, whatever that may be. 

I dream of being a talk show host and changing the world! I hope to encourage those around me to "seek the sunshine" during even the darkest hours and find joy in every situation they face, trusting that God is working for the good, that good being becoming like Christ! I believe happiness is a choice and life is all about how you perceive circumstances, and I hope to encourage others to look on the bright side of every situation because I truly believe there is always a bright side, even it's simply thanking God for putting breath in our lungs once more! How does one become a talk show host, though? Your guess is as good as mine! I honestly have no idea but I'm willing to find out because I believe we can achieve anything and everything we set our minds to! However, it's not going to easy. It's going to be really, really hard. I may foul out (fail) or be outnumbered (3-0n-1) but I refuse to give up! Just as Coach told us to keep our hands off our knees when playing basketball games, I intend on keeping my hands off my knees as I play the game of life, and I hope you will do the same! After all, it's a mentality! Fight until it becomes reality!

I would like to encourage you to get your hands off your knees and fight! It doesn't matter what the situation is, it only matters how you perceive the situation because, like basketball, life is a mentality. If you view goals as unattainable, you'll never reach them. You will have lost the game before ever stepping onto the court. However, if you believe you have the potential to achieve anything you set your mind to, you can, but only if you're willing to put in the effort!

When you feel yourself getting tired, dig in.
When you're facing an opponent (co-worker) who is more talented (qualified) than you, play harder.
When you want something, fight for it.
When you think it's hopeless, stay positive, believe in yourself, and keep your hands off your knees.

"You're only as strong as your next move." What will your next move be? Will you get tougher when the going gets tough, or will you put your hands on your knees and call it quits? Will you fight for the things you really want in life, or will you give up the moment it gets hard? Remember, like basketball, life is a mentality. Don't accept defeat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much! Your comments, thoughts, and concerns are always welcome here and are greatly appreciated!