Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Letters from Christ

I once heard a sermon that was titled "You Are a Letter from Christ" and one of the bullet points read: "If you are a follower of Jesus, then you are His letter to everyone around you." In other words, we are communicating a message at all times throughout our daily lives whether we intend to or not because "the message [we] convey with [our] life is absolutely unavoidable." As the sermon continued, I was reminded of a mirror that hung in the youth hallway at my home church, First United Methodist, many years ago: 

You may be the only Bible some people will ever read.

It hung directly cross from the stairwell so that as soon as you opened the door, your image reflected in the mirror. It was a weekly encouragement to strive for a life that reflected God's heart rather than our own, and even now, 8yrs later, it has made me consciously aware of how others may be interpreting the life of Kristin Koonce. It is the most challenging, yet most rewarding task here on earth as it motivates us to:
1) "Live in such a way that those who don't know God but know you, may come to know God because they know you." 
2) "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one would believe it."

As I write this, I am reminded of Francesca Battistelli's song, Write Your Story. The lyrics are as follows:


I'm an empty page
I'm an open book
Write Your story on my heart
Come on and make Your mark

Author of my hope
Maker of the stars
Let me be Your work of art
Won't You write Your story on my heart

I want my history
To be Your legacy
Go ahead and show this world
What You've done in me
And when the music fades
I want my life to say
I let You write Your story

What do our letters, our lives, say about us? What message do our lives send? Can others "read" our actions and know immediately who it is we live for? Does Christ's light shine through us so brightly, others can see the message of the Gospel being reflected at all times? God needs us to share His story to the world! 


Let Him write His story on your heart so that when sent, your "letter" to the world has Christ's name written all over it!



"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you." Philippians 1:27-28

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much! Your comments, thoughts, and concerns are always welcome here and are greatly appreciated!